When can they remove a feeding tube from someone in critical care?

Julia Vicente, MSN
Critical Care Nursing

The answer depends on the patient, their condition, why they needed it, what kind of tube it was, and do they still need it.

A feeding tube can be in the mouth (orogastric), in the nose (nasogastric) or through the skin outside the stomach (Percutaneous gastrostomy tube) or in the small intestine (jejunostomy). If the patient does not need the tube and can take nutrition normally then the tube can be removed. If the patient will not have a quick recovery he or she may need a PEG tube for long term feeding. Sometimes patients cannot tolerate tube feedings and might need intravenous nutrition (TPN, PPN); these patients need feeding tubes. Ultimately the answer depends on the patient wishes, and the need and reasons for the tube.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
When is it not necessary to call for an ambulance?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
It is not necessary to call for an ambulance when: the person is awake, breathing without difficu...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?