When should I go to the emergency room (ER) rather than my doctor's office?

You should go to the emergency room (ER) or call 911 rather than go to your doctor's office for true emergencies. True emergencies include:

• chest pain as this may be a sign of a heart attack
  • difficulty breathing, which may require additional support with breathing treatments or a breathing machine
  • large amount of blood loss, which may require a blood transfusion
  • trauma as in a motor vehicle or other accident
  • one-sided weakness or slurred speech, which may be a sign of a stroke
  • drug overdose, in which the person took drugs and is found unresponsive

The above are examples of true emergencies, which need immediate attention and are more appropriately triaged in the ER setting.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Which types of injuries are most common in an emergency room (ER)?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
The types of injuries that are most common in an emergency room include the following: accidental...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Technology Advanced Medicine?
How Has Technology Advanced Medicine?