When should I go to the emergency room (ER) rather than my doctor's office?

You should go to the emergency room (ER) or call 911 rather than go to your doctor's office for true emergencies. True emergencies include:

• chest pain as this may be a sign of a heart attack
  • difficulty breathing, which may require additional support with breathing treatments or a breathing machine
  • large amount of blood loss, which may require a blood transfusion
  • trauma as in a motor vehicle or other accident
  • one-sided weakness or slurred speech, which may be a sign of a stroke
  • drug overdose, in which the person took drugs and is found unresponsive

The above are examples of true emergencies, which need immediate attention and are more appropriately triaged in the ER setting.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Is there a chapel near the ICU?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
The location of the chapel may vary in each hospital. Ask to speak to the Chaplain on duty and they ...
What common household accidents could send me to the emergency room (ER)?
JFK Medical Center - HCA East FloridaJFK Medical Center - HCA East Florida
The most common household accidents that could send you to the emergency room (ER) are falls, poison...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Affects Readmission Rates to Hospitals?