When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for chest pain?

If you have chest pain, call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room for:

• Sudden squeezing, pressure, fullness or crushing feeling in your chest
  • Very sharp, piercing chest pain with trouble breathing—especially if you have not been moving your body very much
  • Chest pain that spreads out into your back, neck, jaw, shoulders or arms
  • Chest pain with dizziness, sweating, a fast heartbeat or trouble breathing
  • Chest pain with throwing up or nausea
  • Angina that is suddenly worse, longer lasting or brought on by less activity

It is better to go to the hospital and learn that you are not having a heart attack than to stay home and have one. That’s because the consequences of an untreated heart attack are so great. If your symptoms persist for more than 15 minutes, you are at more risk that heart muscle cells will die. It is critical for you and your heart that you receive immediate medical attention. To receive the best care, you have about 90 minutes from the onset of the heart attack for an interventional cardiologist or surgeon to restore the flow of blood to the heart before critical heart tissue dies or is damaged.

Know that today your chances of surviving a heart attack—and surviving it well—are greater than ever, and that patients and physicians are a team working together for heart health. Recognition of the symptoms of a heart attack and seeking prompt medical attention are crucial in improving one’s odds of surviving a heart attack, so the first and probably most important link in the battle against coronary artery disease is seeking PROMPT medical attention when there is any suspicion of a heart attack.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Is There a Fee to Talk to a Counselor or Psychologist?
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?