When should I take my child to the emergency room (ER) for a cough?

If you believe your child’s cough is concerning and has not improved, it is very important to see a healthcare professional at the emergency room (ER). 

You should take your child to the emergency room for a cough if your child has any of the following signs of air hunger:

• fast breathing
  • retractions
  • audible wheeze
  • nasal flaring
  • prolonged expiratory phase
  • abdominal breathing
Dr. Sheena L. Kamra, MD
Pediatrician

Take your child to the emergency room for a cough if he also has these symptoms: 

• working very hard to breathe
  • difficulty catching his breath
  • breathing very rapidly

In addition, if your child’s coughing is so severe that your child is having difficulty staying hydrated or is vomiting frequently after coughing fits, your child should be seen by a medical provider.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What does the ER wait time on my local hospital's website mean?
West Florida HospitalWest Florida Hospital
The emergency room (ER) wait time on your local hospital’s website is a rolling four-hour time avera...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?