What role do RNs and LPNs play in caring for my baby in the NICU?

Registered nurses (RNs) -- often referred to as staff nurses -- are the caregivers you interact with most during your baby’s stay in the newborn intensive care unit (NICU). They perform and coordinate the many tasks of caring for your baby, including those ordered by the physicians. Staff nurses closely monitor your baby’s progress and usually have the most recent information about your baby’s care. They’re also a big help in showing you how to care for your baby.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Why should I follow up with the pediatrician after my child goes to the ER?
Typically it is important to follow up with your pediatrician after your child's ER visit to ensure ...
How do paramedics evaluate a trauma patient?
Dr. David C. Fiore, MDDr. David C. Fiore, MD
Evaluating a trauma patient can be very complex. Paramedics are trained to assess a trauma patient f...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
Is Medicine More Art or Science?
Is Medicine More Art or Science?