What are risks of a PICC line in babies in the NICU?

PICC lines have a higher risk of infection because it is located close to the heart.

Intermountain Registered Dietitians
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Complications that may occur with insertion of a PICC line include infection, an irregular heartbeat, bleeding, and breaking or plugging of the catheter. The line may need to be removed if any of these occur.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Should I call my pediatrician if we have to go to the emergency room (ER)?
The answer should be an unequivocal yes—or you need a new pediatrician. Maybe you’ll find out the tr...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Technology Advanced Medicine?
How Has Technology Advanced Medicine?