What resources can I use to talk to my family about an advance directive?

The following resources are useful for family conversations about advance directives:
  • The Conversation Project is dedicated to helping people talk about their wishes for end-of-life care. The focus is on generating conversations about healthcare wishes with family members and ensuring individuals have thought through what they want at the end of life.
  • DeathWise is passionate about motivating people to talk about, make decisions, plan for the end of their lives and then documenting their wishes in an advance directive to ensure their preferences are communicated to their medical services providers, family and friends. Wise Conversations provides trained coaches to meet with and guide small groups of people through conversations about clarifying choices and the process of completing advance directives.
  • Engage with Grace helps people discuss what's important to them so their end-of-life experience is just as purposeful as the way in which they live their life. Their movement calls on people to engage in a blog rally every Thanksgiving and also has a call to action to participate in their One Slide project. The One Slide features just five questions designed to get the conversation about end-of-life care started with loved ones.
  • Coda Alliance has a "Go Wish Game," a card game that is a simple way to think and talk about what's important to individuals and their family members if someone becomes seriously ill.
  • LastingMatters helps any adult, at any age, compile, document and clearly communicate important information, intentions and wishes. The LastingMatters Organizer is a practical and comprehensive planning guide helping to reduce the costs, time, stress and family pressures associated with the death of a loved one.
  • My Gift of Grace is a conversation game for living and dying well. Designed as a fun, engaging way to start conversations with any group, the game is a tool suitable for players at all life stages.
  • The My Healthcare Wishes App is a smartphone application for storing advance directives and other important health information.
  • PREPARE, also referred to as PREPARE For Your Care, is an interactive website serving as a resource for families navigating medical decision making.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What are the busiest times in emergency rooms (ERs)?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
The busiest times of day in the ER are between the hours of three and ten o’clock at night.
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?