What do all the monitors do in the ICU?

In hospitals, monitors are used to tell the nurses things like people's temperature, how fast their heart is beating and how much oxygen they are getting. The monitors often beep and make noise to let the nurses know that they are working properly. 

Julia Vicente, MSN
Critical Care Nursing Specialist

The basic monitoring systems in the ICU allow the critical staff to monitor heart rates and rhythms, blood pressures, breathing rates, oxygen levels in the blood, pressure waveforms and readings from invasive devices, and for many other vital body parameters. Some patients need monitors to measure body temperatures, brain pressures, drainage systems, and many other parameters. Monitors alone are ineffective and require th eexpert reading and interpretation of what the readings mean by critical care nurses and physicians. Nurses and physicians set the parameters on the different monitors so that they will know when the reading is abnormal.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Why can't anyone tell me how long I have to wait when I go to the ER?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
Wait times can be frustrating, but it's important to have patience for those who need immediate atte...
How does a ventilator help my baby breathe in the NICU?
A ventilator helps a baby breathe by expanding the lungs when the baby doesn't have the strength to ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Critical Care Changed?
How Has Critical Care Changed?