What should I know about using my cell phone in the NICU?

Cell phones are a great way to keep in touch with people and share news about your baby. But cell phones -- and other electronic devices such as media players and laptop or tablet computers -- also pose challenges in the newborn intensive care unit (NICU).

The list below offers a few things to consider:
  • Your phone is covered with germs. It's best not to handle it when you're also handling your baby.
  • Your phone is distracting -- to you and to your baby. Limit your time talking, texting, or playing games on your phone. You need to focus on your baby, and your baby needs quiet and rest.
  • Your phone may invade someone else's privacy. The pictures or videos you take with your phone may include other babies and families. Please help the NICU staff honor patients' privacy. Refrain from Skyping or recording if they ask you not to.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
How does a ventilator help my baby breathe in the NICU?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
A ventilator helps a baby breathe by expanding the lungs when the baby doesn't have the strength to ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What are the Main Differences Between Inpatient and Outpatient Care?