What health complications are commonly associated with frailty?

Patients with frail health have less ability to overcome stressors such as illness, falls and injury, and have a higher risk of adverse effects from medications, procedures and surgery.

Further, frailty in surgery patients is consistently associated with a greater risk for surgical complications, increased length of hospital stay and discharge to a rehabilitation facility rather than home. In addition, frail patients are at a higher risk for readmission, suffer from lower quality of life following surgery and end up paying higher overall costs for their care.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Why should I follow up with the pediatrician after my child goes to the ER?
Garden Park Medical CenterGarden Park Medical Center
Typically it is important to follow up with your pediatrician after your child's ER visit to ensure ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Affects Readmission Rates to Hospitals?