What are the different trauma center levels?

Trauma center levels vary from state to state and refer to the types of resources available in the trauma center and the number of patients admitted yearly. Level I trauma centers must also continually expand the body of knowledge in the field of trauma through clinical and basic research programs.

There are three levels of trauma center designation; Level I, II and III. Some states also utilize a fourth level, Level IV.

Trauma centers are designated according to the level of services they provide. Level I [EM1] and level II trauma centers are very similar in the care they can provide, but level I centers frequently have additional resources for trauma research and medical student training.

Trauma centers have different levels that tell you the type of services offered and how many patients the center sees each year. There are 5 levels. Level 1 offers the highest level of services. Level 5 offers the least. A level 1 trauma center has 24-hour coverage in the following specialties:

• anesthesiology
  • critical care
  • emergency medicine
  • internal medicine
  • neurosurgery
  • oral and maxillofacial surgery
  • orthopedic surgery
  • pediatrics
  • plastic surgery
  • radiology

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Is there a chest pain ER for those with heart problems?
Linda MartinezLinda Martinez
All emergency rooms are equipped to care for patients with heart problems. Many hospitals advertise ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Critical Care Changed?
How Has Critical Care Changed?