What is the difference between an advance directive and a POLST?

While an advance directive expresses a person’s choices and may be used by caregivers, family and doctors as supportive evidence of the person’s preferences, it does not have to be followed if deemed ambiguous or not in the person’s best interests. In contrast, the physician orders for life-sustaining treatment (POLST) is a doctor's medical order that remains with people wherever they receive care and must be honored.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Can my family stay with me in critical care?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
Many hospitals have "open visitation" which means that you can visit at any time of the day and nigh...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has the Medical Community Reduced Errors in Patient Care?