What if my child’s condition worsens while we're waiting in the ER?

If you feel your child’s condition is worsening while waiting in the ER, please notify someone. An illness can change over a short period of time.

If your child’s symptoms have worsened while you’ve been waiting to be seen, tell the triage nurse, “My child’s getting worse.” Then describe what’s changed. You won’t be able to snow the triage nurse if it isn’t true, but if it is it will get his or her attention. It means what was written down on the form three hours ago may not be valid now.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

If your child’s condition worsens while you’re waiting in the emergency room, it is important to let a healthcare provider know.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What does a trauma surgeon do?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Basically, a trauma surgeon takes care of people who are injured, working with the hospital staff to...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What are the Main Differences Between Inpatient and Outpatient Care?