Should I wait before going to the emergency room (ER)?

You should wait before going to the emergency room (ER) under certain circumstances. If you’ve got some abdominal pain and you have one episode of vomiting and one episode of diarrhea, and you’re starting to feel better, you can tolerate some soup, the pain is slowly getting better, it doesn’t hurt when you get up and walk, you might say, “You know what? I’m going to wait it out for another hour or two and see what happens.”

You should not wait to go to the ER if you have symptoms that are concerning, that are getting worse, that aren’t getting better, that are preventing you from doing just normal activities—you can’t get up and walk because the pain is so bad. Or, you can’t eat because you are vomiting all the time, or your diarrhea has gotten to the point where you are light-headed and dizzy, then absolutely you need to be seen in an emergency department for those things.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

When in doubt, do not wait before going to the emergency room (ER). Many illnesses or injuries are not life threatening, however, a few require interventions that are time limited and must be done in the first few hours after symptoms start.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What happens when I am discharged from the emergency room (ER)?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
If you’re going home, the emergency medicine (EM) doctor has to write your discharge order and follo...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Critical Care Changed?
How Has Critical Care Changed?