What is done to prevent bacterial infections in the ICU?

Certain infections are screened for in the ICU setting.  For example, MRSA  and C. Diff infections are typically screened for.  Special precautions are entertained for patients that have had a past history of infections such as those listed above.  For those who have a documented infection, the ICU infectious disease control officer will determine what needs to be done to avoid spread of infection.  This may include gowning, gloving and placing a surgical mask.  Of course, the well known precautions should be followed with all patients:  special handling of blood products, washing hands, cleaning surfaces and door knobs, etc. 

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Are registered nurses and critical care nurses the same?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
All critical care nurses are registered nurses however they have specialist training in illness and ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?