Should I take my loved one's personal items home from ICU?

Deb Cordes
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Yes, it is a good idea to take your loved one's personal items home. This will prevent them from getting lost. It is important that the nurse writes down the items that you are taking home so they know they are safe. If you choose to keep the items with your family in ICU it is also important for the nurse to write down what is staying on the admission sheet.
Joane Goodroe
Nursing

It is best to take your loved one's personal items home while they are in the intensive care unit. The nurses taking care of the patient will let you know if they need anything.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Can I hold my baby in the NICU?
Whether or not parents can hold their baby in the NICU depends on the baby’s condition. Extremely si...
How should I describe my child’s symptoms to the emergency room doctor?
Patients will say, “My daughter’s lethargic and has labored breathing,” because they just read those...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?