Will the ICU respect my wishes to be a no code if I have a living will?

Julia Vicente, MSN
Critical Care Nursing
Laws regarding living wills and advanced directive vary from state to state. Even if you have a living will which spells out your specific wishes, your wishes should be respected if you are of sound mind to voice your desires in these matters. This works both ways. Patients who do not wish to be coded or have a do not resucitate (DNR) wish can change their mind at the last  minute and have a chance at resucitation. Patients who wish to have full-resuscitation can choose to have a no code, DNR status and no attempts at resuscitation at the last minute. Unfortunately, many people do not make their wishes known and legal, and so often families are left with making these important decisions. This can often lead to confusion, strife, and difficult choices.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

What happens in the ER if my illness is life threatening?
Debra DibartoloDebra Dibartolo
Patients are seen in the emergency department based on their severity of illness. This is called tri...
How is MRSA treated in critical care?
A critically ill person with a MRSA infection is placed in isolation. Anyone who enters must wear a ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?