How are steroids used to treat acute respiratory events in critical care?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Airway swelling can be caused by things like allergy, infection or chronic smoking.  Breathing becomes difficult, leading to coughing or wheezing. Whatever the cause, you need oxygen. Medications are one way to get the small airways to stop swelling and reverse the constriction/narrowing. The use of anti-inflammatory medication is the mainstay. We are all familiar with these over-the-counter (OTC) medications for arthritis and aches caused by overuse (inflammation).  'Steroids' are the strongest anti inflammatory drugs. They can be taken by mouth as a pill or liquid, inhaled or injected directly into your bloodstream through a vein (IV). There are several types/preparations with varying onset of action. However, their action is not immediate and can take up to 6 hours to reach maximum effect.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Is it safe to have visitors after bringing my baby home from the NICU?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
It is recommended for parents to be smart and protect their baby from unnecessary risks, including g...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?