How can I protect my own health while visiting my baby in the NICU?

For your own health, you're encouraged to take breaks while visiting your baby in the newborn intensive care unit (NICU). Don’t expect to be by your baby’s side 24 hours a day. You should take time out to eat, go home, take care of errands, or spend some time with other family members. There is no food allowed by the baby’s bedside, but most hospitals have a cafeteria, snack shop, or hospitality cart.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What's the difference between a pediatric and adult emergency room (ER)?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
The difference between a pediatric and adult emergency room (ER) is that although all emergency depa...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has Critical Care Changed?
How Has Critical Care Changed?