How do paramedics evaluate a trauma patient?

Dr. David C. Fiore, MD

Evaluating a trauma patient can be very complex. Paramedics are trained to assess a trauma patient following these key steps:

• In the first few seconds, they check for immediate life-threatening injuries.
  • If you have one, they will do their best to stabilize you and get you ready to be moved to an emergency department or trauma center.
  • If your injuries are not immediately life threatening, the paramedics will most likely examine you further. They will look for injuries that can be managed on the scene. 
  • They report your condition to the team at the emergency department.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Why should I follow up with the pediatrician after my child goes to the ER?
Typically it is important to follow up with your pediatrician after your child's ER visit to ensure ...
How do doctors determine when a patient should enter emergency services?
Emergency rooms (ERs) are designed for people who need immediate medical treatment due to a possible...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?