How long is the average stay in the ICU?

Deb Cordes
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The Intesive Care Unit  (ICU) is an area of the hospital reserved for patients who are very sick and require specialized treatment. The nurses and physicians who care for patients in ICU are specially trained to care for very sick patients. Because every patient is different and responds differently the average stay varies. The average length of stay for a patient in the ICU depends on how sick they are and how well they respond to medical treatment.
 Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD
Critical Care Medicine

The average length of stay in an ICU varies depending on many things including but not limited to: type of ICU, patient diagnosis, patient complications, etc.

Average length of stay is an indicator that many regulatory agencies are encouraging hospitals to monitor and decrease. This information is often accessible on the internet.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Why can't anyone tell me how long I have to wait when I go to the ER?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Lack of predictability is the only thing you can count on in the emergency room (ER). You’re probabl...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
Is Medicine More Art or Science?
Is Medicine More Art or Science?