How can I keep my child out of the emergency room (ER)?

The most important way to help keep your child out of the emergency room (ER) is to have a primary care doctor or pediatrician. There are certainly instances in which a child requires emergency care, but many visits to the ER may be avoided by calling your child's pediatrician first. Many illnesses can be handled in the clinic on a same-day basis. Always try to call your child's primary care doctor before going the ER unless your child has a life-threatening illness. If that is the case, always call 911.
The best way to keep your kid out of the emergency room (ER) is with PREVENTION!!! There is really no better answer, but we’re all realists. We can’t always be there to prevent things from happening to our kids, but a healthy dosage of mindful supervision of infants and toddlers, good hand washing, bike and skateboard helmets, knee and elbow pads, and seat belts, are some of the best measures. Common sense will carry you a long way as a parent in preventing broken bones and serious sicknesses.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for chest pain?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
If you have a known history or family history of heart disease and experience chest pain, you should...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
Is Medicine More Art or Science?
Is Medicine More Art or Science?