Can I hold my baby in the NICU?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Whether or not parents can hold their baby in the NICU depends on the baby’s condition. Extremely sick babies often require treatment with multiple monitors, a ventilator, umbilical lines, special heating devices and other equipment that make moving the baby difficult. However, even the sickest babies benefit from human touch, such as holding their little hands or touching their head, and from hearing their parents’ voices. Then, once the baby’s condition improves the nurses will assist the parents to hold the baby. Many NICU’s encourage parents to use a kangaroo hold or skin to skin contact when holding infants in the NICU.

Parents can hold their baby using "kangaroo care," or skin-to-skin care, in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).

It's suggested that mothers hold their premature baby as much as  possible.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Where can I get an advance directive?
National Healthcare Decisions DayNational Healthcare Decisions Day
The following are places where you can find advance directive documents: A|D Vault/MyDirectives ...
Is urgent care faster than the emergency room (ER)?
Treatment at an urgent care center can be faster than in the emergency room, but this depends on the...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
Is Medicine More Art or Science?
Is Medicine More Art or Science?