How can I find out about my loved one's progress in the ICU?

Julia Vicente, MSN
Critical Care Nursing
This will be highly dependant on how the particuar unit functions. In some units there is a specified, routine way to communicate and relayed patient information. This might be in the form of family meetings, through social services, or some other unit designated way. In many ICU's, the family members request to get updates from the physicians through the critical-care nurses. Nurses are usually the best way to get general and even specific updates in the unit and can usually answer many questions about ICU patients, as long as the information is in the nurses scope of practice. Questions about statistics, prognosis, and treatment courses is the job of the physician. Nurses can and do provide excellent follow-up and support in these matters as well, once the physician has discussed these with patients and their families.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Should I wait before going to the emergency room (ER)?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You should wait before going to the emergency room (ER) under certain circumstances. If you’ve got s...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?