Will the critical care doctor explain the procedure to my family?

Deb Cordes
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Yes, before any procedure your doctor will explain what the risks and benefits of the procedure are. They will answer any questions that you or your family might have. Before the procedure is done the doctor and nurse will have you sign a consent form that states your doctor has explained the procedure to you and you undertsand the risks and benefits. If you are unable to sign then the doctor will explain everything to your family member and they will sign. If you or your family do not understand the procedure than you must tell the doctor and nurse you do not understand what is going to be done.
Any time you are going to have a procedure done it should be explained to you or the person responsible for making health decisions for you when you can not. The only time this might not be done is in a life-threatening emergency when time is of the essence and there is not time to explain it to someone.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
If I cut myself and am bleeding profusely, do I call 911or my doctor?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
If you are bleeding profusely, call 911 immediately.
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Responsibility Do Patients Have for Their Own Health Care?