Why do I need a living will when I'm admitted to the critical care unit?

Debra Dibartolo
Nursing Specialist

The doctor or nurse practitioner asks if you have a living will for several reasons;

1. To be sure your wishes are being carried out in the event of a life-threatening event.
  2. To encourage you to talk about what you wishes for care and treatment would be in the event you could not speak for yourself.
  3. To provide you with education to the importance of  “living wills” ,“Molst forms”, “Do not Resuscitate” , “Do not Intubate” and/or health care proxy forms.
  4. To assist you in preparing one of these forms or a similar form that is recognized in your state, if you wish to.

Critical care admissions ask if a patient has a living will, so if there is a negative outcome, the patient's wants are met.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
What does a social worker in a hospital do?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A social worker in a hospital helps people with illnesses and their families to cope with living wit...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has the Medical Community Reduced Errors in Patient Care?