Isn't the closest emergency department always the best choice?

Going to the wrong emergency department could prove fatal—if, say, they don't have the equipment that you or your loved one needs. The closest emergency room should only be the immediate go-to choice when life or death depends solely on speed of treatment. The EMT or paramedic will let you know if this is the deal. In many cases, however, it's worth driving an extra 50 minutes to a better-equipped emergency department than getting quicker treatment at one with fewer capabilities, believe it or not.

For example, if you're having a heart attack or stroke, you need to go to an emergency department that can perform an immediate angioplasty (a procedure that opens a clogged heart artery) or a thrombolysis of a cerebral occlusion (a procedure that does ditto for ditto, except in the brain) within 1 hour, as this might save your life.

When researching the emergency departments in your area, don't just limit your search to hospitals. Learn if there's a 24-hour urgent care or walk-in clinic in your vicinity; if it can handle your emergency, going there could be faster and cheaper.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately,...
How can I tell if I need to take my child to the emergency room?
Dr. Alfred D. Sacchetti, MDDr. Alfred D. Sacchetti, MD
Take your child to the emergency room or call 911 if your child has: difficulty breathing or shor...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has the Medical Community Reduced Errors in Patient Care?