Should I call my family about my loved one in critical care?

Deb Cordes
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Whether or not to call the family about a loved one in critical care is a decision that only you can make. These can be hard decisions if there are problems within the family. It may help to discuss this with pastoral care or social worker to help you work through this issue. When a patient is in critical care they are very sick and it may be important for all the family members to be aware of the patient's condition.
Joane Goodroe
Nursing

A loved one in critical care can be a very serious and a difficult situation for you to handle by yourself. Most of the time, family member will appreciate the information and then they can make their decision of how to handle the information.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
When will my baby be discharged from the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Your baby will be discharged from the NICU when he meets discharge criteria based on his age, size, ...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Makes for Good Critical Care?
What Makes for Good Critical Care?