How do cranberry supplements treat urinary tract infections?

Cranberry supplements (or juice) aren't helpful in treating a urinary tract infection. The thinking has long been, based mostly on lab studies, that compounds in cranberries can make the urine more acidic and prevent bacteria from attaching to your cells, so the bacteria get flushed out of your system. But juices and supplements don't have enough of these active chemicals to help in real life. Once an infection takes hold, your best bet is to see your doctor for a short course of antibiotics. And if you have UTIs often, your doctor may give you a low dose of an antibiotic for several months to prevent recurrent infections.

Continue Learning about Cranberry

Are cranberry supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
It is possible that cranberry supplements may harm a developing fetus, so it is best not to use ...
What are cranberry supplements used for?
Alternative health practitioners use cranberry products to inhibit symptoms of bladder infection...
Should I tell my doctor that I am taking cranberry supplements?
It is always wise to tell your doctor about any supplements you are taking. People who take bloo...
What medications can interact with cranberry supplements?
Cranberry is considered safe with almost all medications. In medicinal doses it may increase the eff...