Why should my plastic surgeon be certified by the ABPS?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Patients should seek board certified plastic surgeons in the United States that are members of the ABPS (American Board of Plastic Surgery). There are NO substitutes for this board. After training in general surgery, a 2-3 year fellowship specializing in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery is performed. Subsequently, both written and oral board must be passed to become a member of the ABPS. The ABPS helps to screen and maintain competency of its member throughout the country. 
The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is there for patient safety and protection. The ABPS certification signals safe, ethical and competent surgeons who have completed at least five years of surgical residency training after medical school, including at least two years in plastic surgery, and have passed comprehensive cosmetic and reconstructive surgery exams.

People considering plastic surgery should know that a surgeon is ABPS certified before they even visit an office for consultation. Patients should steer clear of other organizations that purport to offer certifications that are not through official Boards recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
What are the cosmetic procedures that I could have?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
If there is an area on your body you want to improve, there is probably a cosmetic procedure availab...
Can smoking increase my risk of cosmetic surgery complications?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Inhaling more than four thousand toxic substances, including carbon monoxide and nicotine, incre...
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Drooping Chin?