What is a panniculectomy ?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
A panniculectomy is simply a very large tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. The main goal of a panniculectomy is to remove the large abdominal pannus from the patient usually after massive weight loss. I see these patients in my practice often after some form of gastric bypass surgery (lap band, Roux-en -Y, Fobi procedure, VBG). One difference from the customary abdominoplasty is that the rectus sheath is not always plicated at the same setting. Enormous panniculectomies may require sacrifice of the umbicus due to a very long stalk. Liposuction of the hips is often performed concurrently. Several drainage tubes are placed for at least 7 days to remove fluid under the abdominal flap.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
Can I opt for breast implants during the surgery for breast cancer?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
Yes, many women choose to have breast implants after breast cancer surgery. Tissue expanders are usu...
What are some risks associated with cosmetic foot surgery?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Both the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) and the American Podiatric Medical ...
What can I expect after cosmetic plastic surgery?