Advertisement

What happens if I have a bad result from cosmetic surgery?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
When considering whether to reoperate after plastic surgery, the patient and surgeon must again assess risks and benefits. But this time, the curve shifts. No longer is the chance of success 85-95% and the chance of complication 5-15%. If the problem is as dramatic and obvious as a large divot in the tip of the nose, the decision is easier than if the flaw is so subtle that only the patient sees it. The second procedure may have only a 50% chance of success, a 30% chance of a complication, and a 20% chance that it will neither improve nor worsen the situation. When the numbers shift this way, the decision to operate is very difficult. Sometimes your original surgeon shouldn't try again. You may need a surgeon who specializes in difficult, reoperative surgery. While such a choice may tarnish your plastic surgeon's ego, you need to think of yourself first.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

More About this Book

Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
Read More
Why should teenagers avoid getting plastic surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
In general, young women under the age of eighteen should not undergo plastic surgery. I feel strongl...
More Answers
What are the most common plastic surgery procedures?
Mohammad KhosraviMohammad Khosravi
in my practice, the most common procedures are:Breast AugmentationRhinoplastyliposuctionTummy TuckMo...
More Answers
How Does Shrink Wrap Liposuction Differ From Traditional Liposuction?
How Does Shrink Wrap Liposuction Differ From Traditional Liposuction?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.