What are "cohesive" breast implants?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Cohesive gel breast implants are very thick viscous implants made by both Allergan Pharmaceuticals and Mentor Corporation, now Johnson and Johnson. The cohesive gels have thicker viscous silicone, which is more conforming, reducing visibility and palpability of the implant edge. We use cohesive silicone gel implants in our gel implant patients currently in 2011, including moderate, moderate plus, high profile, and extra high profile gel implants. These implants, however, if the shell does break, will leak with time and can spread both intra and extracapsular, as well as can spread to lymph nodes over many years. Therefore, MRI should be performed every 3 years to determine the integrity of the shell of the implant.
Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery

Newer implants currently being considered for FDA-approval include silicone-gel implants referred to as "cohesive" gel. These implants theoretically maintain some of the realistic feel of silicone gel implants, without the risk for rupture. Regardless of implant type, no device thus far is permanent, and there is a chance that your implants may need to be removed and or exchanged. Other considerations, including the use of implants that are textured or smooth, round or anatomically shaped, and low, moderate, or high profile are finer points to be addressed with your surgeon before the day of surgery.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
What should I avoid before any cosmetic procedure?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Before you undergo any type of cosmetic or plastic surgery procedure, it is important to review the ...
What can I expect after neck liposuction?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Liposuction of the neck and jowls is a surprisingly pain-free procedure. My patients generally r...
Why Would Someone Opt for a Tummy Tuck When They Have Breast Reconstruction?