What can I expect after cosmetic plastic surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
After cosmetic plastic surgery, expect to have swelling, and mild pain in the area worked upon. For my breast augmentation patients, 5 days off work is necessary as well as refraining from lifting for 3 weeks to prevent bleeding. Dressing are applied in the operating room and replaced the next morning with a DrLinderbra. Sutures are removed on day 14. Pain control with vicodin or tylenol #3, and antibiotics for 7 days to prevent staph and streptococcal infections. 
Advances in surgical technique, anesthesia methods and pain control mean that, in many cases, patients no longer have the downtime associated with recovering from general anesthesia. The incidence of nausea and vomiting after surgery is markedly decreased and patients are often able to get back into their daily routines more quickly. While surgical healing does take time, most patients can expect to return to normal activities in just a few weeks.

Don't expect to be camera-ready right after cosmetic plastic surgery. Your body will need some time to heal, says cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon Dr. Robert Grant. Learn how long recovery can take, and what you should ask your doctor pre-surgery, by watching this video.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
How can I make sure my cosmetic surgery is safe?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
To keep cosmetic surgery safe, we must not abandon common sense for the sake of vanity. Longer p...
What is the general recovery period for facial surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The general recovery period for facial surgery depends on the extent of the surgery. Facelifts and n...
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Drooping Chin?