What is the recovery time after a 'lift' has been performed?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
In general, the recovery time after a formal mastopexy or Wise pattern technique anchor scar breast lift, is approximately six to eight weeks. Sutures are normally left in for 14 days under the skin in order to prevent dehiscence and increase scaring associated with wound openings.

My patients are instructed not to do any heavy lifting for at least four weeks, keep the incisions dry for seven to ten days, maintain on antibiotics for one week and will wear surgical brassieres for four to six weeks postoperatively.

In general, the level of pain is quite minimal with breast lifts as there is no pain associated with the muscle as there is no muscle involvement, just normally skin removal with conservative undermining of the breast tissue.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
What should I avoid after a chemical peel?
After a chemical peel, it's important to avoid overexposure to the sun. A chemical peel causes a...
Am I a good candidate for ear reshaping (otoplasty)?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Patients that are good candidates for ear reshaping or the otoplasty procedure have prominent ears t...
Does the VelaShape Body Sculpting Procedure Have Any Risks?