My breasts are asymmetrical. What type of breast implants can fix this?

No breasts are completely symmetric; there are always subtle asymmetries. But if there are significant amounts of asymmetry, we can do several things. For instance, we can make the sizes of the breasts more symmetrical through surgery, such as with a breast lift or different size implants to create more symmetry. It’s always individualized to that specific patient. 

Tara Whitworth, MSN
Nursing Specialist

Most women’s breasts are asymmetrical, even if only slightly. Saline implants are filled after they are inserted. This allows the surgeon to modify the amount of saline in each breast until they are symmetrical. For example, if your left breast is smaller than your right breast, the surgeon may add more saline to the left breast than the right so that both breasts look the same. If your breasts are asymmetrical in other ways, you might need a lift procedure. Your physician will help you decide what option is best for you.

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Both silicone and saline implants can be used for breast asymmetry correction. In general, it is vital to examine each individual as a new and unique case. Women with thick amounts of breast tissue and muscle and a severe asymmetry, may do well with saline implants, as these implants can be easily titrated in volume, in other words, they are filled in the operating room. Women who are quite thin and have asymmetry may however do better with silicone implants to reduce visibility and palpability. Remember that silicone implants are prefilled and therefore once they are placed, it is a one-time only device and they cannot be changed in fill volume. Therefore, silicone implants are more difficult to use in regaining symmetry in the majority of women.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
How will I feel during a cosmetic laser procedure?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
It depends on the type of laser method:Fractionated laser: Even after an hour of numbing cream, this...
What are my chances of getting infection after facial surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
According to several studies, the incidence of an infection after facial surgery is approximately 0....
What are the risks of plastic surgery complications?