How is gynecomastic surgery performed?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
There are multiple approaches for Gynecomastic surgery. In the mildest approach, direct liposuction of the chest can be performed under general anesthesia. This will allow fatty tissue to be removed. If, however, there is also a significant amount of glandular and/or fatty tissue behind the areola, this generally cannot be removed by liposuction alone, and often the patient will undergo a direct extraction of this glandular tissue through an incision underneath the nipple. This procedure is usually referred to as a partial subcutaneous mastectomy.

In the most extreme forms of gynecomastia, where there is also a significant amount of loose skin, the patient may actually undergo a form of breast reduction operation. It is a very similar operation to what I perform on women. It does leave an anchor-like scar straight down the middle of the breast and along the crease, but this kind of incision has to be done in order to allow removal of excess skin as well as glandular and fatty tissue.

Normally, patients remain in compressive garments for six to eight weeks after surgery to decrease the swelling. Sutures are most often removed by the 14th day after surgery, and all patients are told to refrain from heavy lifting for three to four weeks postoperatively.

The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
What factors should I consider when selecting my surgeon?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most important factors in selecting your surgeon includes qualifications and board certification...
What should I do if a doctor refuses to do my cosmetic surgery?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
If you are not a good candidate for cosmetic surgery, a doctor who saves you from going under the kn...
Does the VelaShape Body Sculpting Procedure Have Any Risks?