What are some types of cosmetic surgery for wounds?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Types of cosmetic surgery for wounds include secondary intention, debridement and advancement flap closure, skin grafts, use of tissue expanders , and flap reconstruction. The least invasive procedure involves wet to dry dressing changes followed by direct wound closure once there is granulation tissue and reduced necrotic tissue. Skin grafts may include partial or full thickness grafts depending on the body area or face to match the tissue and surrounding skin. Tissue expanders may be placed to recruit skin and then remove after 6-8 weeks and advance the new tissue and skin. Flap reconstruction introduces new tissue with a pedicle and blood supply to the clean wound. Finally microvascular flap reconstruction is the most intricate wound closure requiring the use of a microscope and anastamosis of both arterial and venous supply to recipient vessels close to the wound.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
What surgical procedures can enlarge my buttocks?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The main surgical procedures to enlarge the buttocks include: buttock implants, autologous fat trans...
Who is a good candidate for liposuction?
Raffi V. Hovsepian, MDRaffi V. Hovsepian, MD
Liposuction isn't right for everyone. In this video, plastic surgeon Raffi Hovsepian, MD, describes ...
How does my age help determine which cosmetic procedures are right for me?