Why does my big toe point inward?

The big toe often points inward toward the second toe as a result of a bunion. Bunions are usually caused by the positioning of the bones in the foot causing enlargement and re-positioning of the joint at the base of the big toe. The big toe begins to point inward toward the little toes. This may cause redness, swelling, and irritation. There are both non-surgical treatments (such as looser shoes) and surgical treatments to be explored. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

Should I Worry About This Bony Bump on My Foot?
Among the many joys of getting older—along with gray hair, wrinkles, and mid-section bulge—are bunions, those annoying bony bumps that form on the sid...
How should I treat a foot callus?
Since calluses result from ongoing rubbing or friction, you can help treat a callus by removing any ...
How can I prevent calluses and corns?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
To prevent calluses and corns from developing, be sure to wear shoes that fit comfortably, provi...
How Can I Treat a Callus Myself?
How Can I Treat a Callus Myself?