When should I call my doctor if I have bunions?

You should call your doctor if your bunions are causing you pain or changing the way you walk or exercise. There are some limited treatments for bunions. But the first step is diagnosis and making sure no other conditions are contributing to your problem. 
A bunion is a bony bump on the inner side of your foot, at the base of your big (first) toe. It causes your big toe to turn inward, toward your other toes, and it can cause foot pain and stiffness. If a shoe or something else rubs or presses on the bunion often, it may become swollen, tender and red. Bunion treatment usually includes avoiding things that rub against the bunion, icing it and taking pain medication. Foot stretches and exercises may also help, and some people may need to wear a brace when they sleep. Some people may need bunion surgery.

Do you ever need to call your doctor about a bunion? Sometimes! Call your doc if your symptoms get worse or don't get better after two weeks of treatment, or if you have new symptoms. If you've had bunion surgery, and have any of these symptoms, call your doctor right away:
  • Fever or chills
  • Pain that gets worse
  • Redness, swelling or warmth in the area
  • Fluid or pus that drains from the area
  • Loose or wet bandages
  • Bleeding
  • Side effects from medications

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
Read More
How can I prevent calluses and corns?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
To prevent calluses and corns from developing, be sure to wear shoes that fit comfortably, provi...
More Answers
How effective is bunion surgery?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Some people still experience residual symptoms of bunions after undergoing surgery, which makes ...
More Answers
What Shoes Are Good for Bunions?
What Shoes Are Good for Bunions?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.