What is bunion surgery?

Bunion surgery is needed to realign the joint space or provide stability to the bunion area.

Dr. James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatrist (Foot Specialist)

If your doctor recommends surgery for bunions, the specific procedure will depend on the severity of your deformity. Several procedures are available. To treat mild deformities, for example, the surgeon might use the modified McBride procedure by shaving the enlarged portion of the bone and realigning the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Recovery from this type of surgery typically takes at least six weeks.

For moderate deformities, the surgeon may use the chevron procedure to cut the bone close to the metatarsal head and then shift it back into its proper position. In this case, recovery takes about six to 12 weeks, during which you may be advised not to walk on your foot.

To correct severe bunions, a cut must be made further down the metatarsal bone. The surgeon may keep the bones in position with pins, screws, or plates. Recovery from this procedure, known as a proximal osteotomy, takes at least three months.

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
Read More
What can a doctor do for a callus?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
A callus is usually not dangerous or painful. If it does begin to hurt, it may be overlying a nerve,...
More Answers
How is the digestive system linked to aging?
Dr. Michael Roizen, MDDr. Michael Roizen, MD
Considering all the other life-threatening health problems we tend to worry about, it may seem that ...
More Answers
How Can Wearing High Heels Hurt my Feet?
How Can Wearing High Heels Hurt my Feet?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.