What should I expect during recovery from bunion surgery?

Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

During recovery from bunion surgery, you may have to wear a bandage and special shoe—or possibly a cast in more severe cases. The special shoe or cast will protect your foot, allowing it to heal, while enabling you to walk on your heel. During recovery, your muscles and other soft tissues will atrophy, so after the postoperative shoe or cast is removed, you may have to do exercises to regain your strength and flexibility. It may take as long as six months to recover fully (to the point where you can do strenuous activities).

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
How can I avoid exercise-related corns and calluses on my feet?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Avoiding poorly fit shoes is the best way to reduce the chance of a corn or callus. To remove a corn...
What medications help treat bunions?
If you have a bunion, your doctor may prescribe medication to relieve your pain. This may include no...
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?