How are corns and calluses formed?

Calluses are thick, rough patches of skin that many people have on the bottom of their feet. They are often found under the ball or heel of the foot. Sometimes they cause a burning sensation, and they may cause discomfort. However, they usually aren't dangerous.

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Excessive pressure and friction on one area of the foot cause skin cells to multiply and then die, forming a thickened area of skin known as a corn or a callus, depending on its location.

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
How can I treat a callus myself?
Donnica Moore, MDDonnica Moore, MD
You can treat a callus using a licorice stick! In this video, women's health expert Dr. Donnica Mo...
Who gets bunions?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Bunions are among the most common causes of painful toes. They plague more than half of all Amer...
What Is a Bunion?
What Is a Bunion?