What are the symptoms of bunions?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Neither bunions nor bunionettes may cause any pain at first, but you might notice that you have developed a bump on the side of your foot and that it's harder to put on tight shoes. In time, a bunion or bunionette can become extremely painful.

Symptoms of bunions and bunionettes:
  • Bony protuberance at base of big toe (for bunion) or fifth toe (for bunionette)
  • Pain, especially when wearing shoes that press against the bump

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

Should I Worry About This Bony Bump on My Foot?
Among the many joys of getting older—along with gray hair, wrinkles, and mid-section bulge—are bunions, those annoying bony bumps that form on the sid...
When should I call my doctor if I have bunions?
You should call your doctor if your bunions are causing you pain or changing the way you walk or exe...
What shoe inserts can help relieve bunion or bunionette pain?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
If you've already developed a bunion or bunionette, you can help alleviate the pain by padding t...
What Should I Think About If I Have Bunion Surgery?