How soon after bunion surgery can I drive?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
Surgery to correct a moderate to severe bunion will require you to stop driving for about six weeks. One study found that patients were able to drive safely six weeks following bunion surgery, indicating that they had low pain levels. The study, published in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, also found that emergency brake time response in patients who underwent surgery was similar to that of healthy individuals just six weeks after the procedure. However, if the surgery is performed to correct a moderate to severe bunion on the right foot, you risk reinjuring your foot if you resume driving before the six-week mark, the study found.

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
When should I call my doctor if I have bunions?
You should call your doctor if your bunions are causing you pain or changing the way you walk or exe...
Who gets bunions?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Bunions are among the most common causes of painful toes. They plague more than half of all Amer...
How Can Wearing High Heels Hurt my Feet?