What causes bunions?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

While bunions can sometimes be genetic, wearing high-heeled shoes is often the culprit. What classically happens is you step in these high-heeled shoes and you squish your toes into the bottom of the shoe, and the toes kink a little bit, which makes the bone stick out.

There's no need to worry about bunions if they aren't hurting. It's not a big deal unless they bother you.

The best way to avoid bunions is to avoid shoes that are likely to contribute to their development. Once the angle starts to go off the wrong way, your foot becomes inefficient as you walk. That's why younger women in particular ought to pay attention to this issue.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Corns, Calluses & Bunions

The Bunion Blues
The Bunion Blues
Paul Bunyan and his sidekick Babe, the Blue Ox, were characters in lumberjack folklore for years before William Laughead composed a direct mail pamphl...
How can I avoid exercise-related corns and calluses on my feet?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Avoiding poorly fit shoes is the best way to reduce the chance of a corn or callus. To remove a corn...
What are common foot problems in 30- to 40-year-olds?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
In your 30s and 40s, your feet undergo age-related changes like the rest of your body. Muscles w...
How Can I Treat a Callus Myself?
How Can I Treat a Callus Myself?