How does obesity affect chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?

Obesity tends to worsen all medical conditions, and this is particularly true with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). With COPD, you have obstructed breathing, with shortness of breath, congestion and cough. Obesity can limit the ability of your lungs to function by weighing them down and further worsening your ability to breathe.

There is a higher prevalence of overweight and obesity in the early chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) population compared with the general population, but a paradoxically lower body mass index (BMI) in people with moderate to severe COPD (GOLD stages 3 and 4) is a marker for poor prognosis over the next 1-3 years.

In COPD and obesity, low-grade inflammation and arterial hypoxemia have been associated with a reduction in skeletal muscle tissue, a decrease in muscle fat oxidative capacity, a shift from muscle fiber type 1 (slow twitch) to type 2 (fast twitch) and a loss of respiratory muscle performance.

Physiological and metabolic factors related to COPD and obesity seems to jeopardize morbidity and mortality further when in association. Further studies are being undertaken to investigate the relationship.

Continue Learning about COPD

How to Avoid Common COPD Triggers
How to Avoid Common COPD Triggers
Often referred to as COPD, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a chronic respiratory illness that makes it difficult for a person to breathe and ...
What medicine should I stop taking if I can't afford all my COPD treatment?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
It’s never safe to just stop taking a medication for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) un...
How do cigarette smoke and other pollutants damage the lungs?
David S. Kamrava, MDDavid S. Kamrava, MD
Cigarette smoke and environmental pollutants damage the lungs by causing inflammation or scarring, s...
3 Myths About COPD
3 Myths About COPD