How is Alpha-1 chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treated?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the chronic blockage of airways in the lungs, causing difficulty breathing and shortness of breath. While extremely rare, a genetic disorder known as alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AAT) can cause COPD. This hereditary condition results in a dramatic decrease in the amount of the protein alpha-1-antitrypsin, essential to protecting the lungs from damage. In addition to traditional medical treatment options for COPD, augmentation therapy is also used for AAT deficiency patients. Weekly, intravenous infusions of the missing protein are given to increase the protein's concentration in the blood and lungs.

Continue Learning about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Treatment

Understanding Your COPD Treatment Plan
Understanding Your COPD Treatment Plan
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a term that describes a few types of progressive lung disease—most notably emphysema and chronic bronc...
What should I know about Breo Ellipta before taking it?
Breo Ellipta is a long-acting medication to control asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
What medications do inhaled short-acting beta-agonists interact with?
If you are taking a beta blocker, a strong CYP3A4 inhibitor, a drug that prolongs the QTc interval, ...
What Can I Do to Prevent My COPD From Getting Worse?