Why use grape seed oil in cooking?

Jackie Newgent
Grapeseed oil has a high smoke point. That means you can use it for all cooking purposes, even high heat sautéing or stir-frying. It has a very mild flavor -- which means it’s quite versatile and won’t impart any unwanted taste in sweet or savory cuisine. Plus, it’s low in saturated fat and provides valuable antioxidants and vitamin E.
Sarah Krieger
Grapeseed oil is a heart-healthy oil that is friendly to heat (smoke point of 485 -- very high!). It's an oil to use in salad dressings or cooking with it in dishes where you want nutrition (in all recipes!), but without an overbearing taste. So it is ideal for sauteeing and baking as well as in marinades.

Like other vegetable and fruit oils, grapeseed oil is not hydrogenated, so there is no trans fat, it is low in saturated fat, no cholesterol and has no sodium. It also is a good source of vitamin E and may increase blood levels of HDL cholesterol. All oils have calories, however, so at 100-120 calories per tablespoon, use all oils sparingly. Most of the grapeseed oils come from crushed grape seeds from wine-making vineyards, so the grapes are being used to the max without additional growing of a food. This is good news for our land! So give grapeseed oil a try for a nice change of pace from canola, corn or vegetable oil.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Follow this quick checklist of sodium-slashing food-prep ideas every time you make a meal and you could be enjoying better blood pressure before you k...
How should I slice vegetables?
Face it: You'd eat more vegetables if they weren't such a pain to slice and dice. Here's help: I...
How can I eat more blueberries?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Blueberries are easy to add to your diet. Start in the morning by adding them to your dry cereal or ...
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue