What type of oil should I use on salads?

Keri Gans
For salads, olive, sunflower, safflower, flaxseed, or walnut oils are excellent choices. With the exception of extra-virgin olive oil, olive oil has a robust flavor, while sunflower oil (pressed from the seeds) and safflower oil (pressed from a thistle-type flower) have a delicate taste and a lighter texture. If you opt for sunflower oil, you can get either high-oleic sunflower oil, which has monounsaturated levels of 80 percent and above, or the more common linoleic sunflower oil, which is high in polyunsaturates or linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid. Flaxseed’s rich, nutty taste adds a pleasant flavor to a salad, and it’s a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which your body converts into omega- 3s. It goes rancid quickly—high or even room temperatures destroy its fragile structure -- so keep it in the refrigerator and use it within a few months of opening. Walnut oil is best used uncooked or in cold sauces because it becomes slightly bitter when heated.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Toby Smithson

Canola, olive, walnut, and peanut oil are mono or polyunsaturated fats. These types of oils are healthy choices. Recent research has shown health benefits from having some type of mono or polyunsaturated fats added to your salad to help you absorb the fat soluble vitamins from your salad. If you do not use oil in your salad, you can also add foods like nuts, avocados, or olives to your salad as a source of healthy fats.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Follow this quick checklist of sodium-slashing food-prep ideas every time you make a meal and you could be enjoying better blood pressure before you k...
How can I add vegetables to my meals?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
If you have trouble getting enough vegetables into your diet, you can try to add vegetables to your ...
How do I check food temperature to prevent food-related illness?
Harmful bacteria are destroyed when foods are cooked to proper temperatures. To reduce your risk of ...
Cooking Tips to Help With Your Insulin
Cooking Tips to Help With Your Insulin